New Sign at Diss Cemetery Installed to Honour Commonwealth War Graves
9 January 2024
A poignant tribute to the men and women of the Commonwealth forces who made the ultimate sacrifice in the First and Second World Wars has been unveiled with the installation of a new sign at the entrance to Diss Cemetery on Heywood Road. This commemorative addition, funded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), ensures the remembrance of the 14 servicemen interred at this location.
Established in 1917, the CWGC is dedicated to constructing cemeteries and monuments worldwide. With sites at 23,000 locations in over 150 countries and territories, the mission is to guarantee the everlasting commemoration of those who lost their lives in service or due to conflict.
Funded by six leading Commonwealth governments, the CWGC remains steadfast in maintaining and repairing its sites, with some soon reaching their centenary. This commitment reflects the ongoing dedication to preserving the memory of the human cost of war.
Diss Town Council will be working with community representatives including the Diss & District branch of the Royal British Legion, St Mary’s Church and local Cadet Forces to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings on Thursday 6th June 2024 with a beacon lighting ceremony in Diss Park. This will provide another opportunity to honour those many, many thousands who gave so much on the beaches in Normandy to help ensure our freedom we share today.
For more information about the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and its mission, please visit www.cwgc.org.
Follow our Facebook page @DissTC to keep up with event updates.